Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Journey in June-Right where I am: 5 months, 22 days


It has been 5 months and 22 days since my fourth child, Declan was stillborn.  In the time since he was born, I have learned many things about myself, my family, my friends, and even strangers.


I am learning how to live with a broken heart.

I am learning how to live when a piece of my soul is missing.

I am learning how to function in a state of sleep deprivation, I never knew existed.

I am learning how to parent my children when I lack the energy and motivation to do so.

I am learning to plan meals and create a grocery list when I have no desire to eat.

I am learning to pay my bills on time again.

(These last few months have been a feast of ordering out or mindlessly putting food items into the grocery cart, only to get home and realize I haven't bought what I need to cook a complete meal.  I don't think I have paid a bill on time since December, I didn't care that I was being charged late fees.  My son was dead, nothing mattered, I didn't care if the mortgage, utilities or credit card bill was paid on time.  It was only money, and if I didn't pay today- the bill would still be there tomorrow, unpaid.)

I am learning to let go of the anger I have toward people who have disappointed me.

I am learning to make new friends, (even if they are the other parents from our support group, or women from online babyloss forums).

I am learning that the people I thought were going to be my support system aren't.

I am learning to appreciate the small gestures and generosity of the people who do care.

I am learning to let go of the relationships that have been broken since Declan died.

I am learning how to organize a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.  We have established a memorial fund in Declan's honor to supply the hospital with outfits and hats for babies weighing 1-2 lbs who are stillborn. 

I am learning to cherish my husband and appreciate the new depth of our relationship.

I am learning to trust my instincts.  Something I didn't do while I was pregnant, and will regret for the rest of my life.

I am learning to declutter my life, and all aspects of it; my mind, my heart, my home.

I am learning to take care of myself.  I have given myself permission to protect my heart from hurtful and viscious people, words, and situations.

But most importantly I am learning how to live without my son, Declan.


~Corrine



5 comments:

  1. Oh, Corrine. All of this learning, so much of it is beautiful and admirable, but I'm so very sorry you find yourself in a place where you have to do it. I keep looking at the photo of Declan's beautiful little foot and sweet toes, and I wish with all my heart he was still with you.

    So much love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a perfect little foot.

    I'm so sorry for the loss of your son, Declan, and that you have had to learn such difficult lessons. It also took me quite some time to find the motivation to care about things such as paying bills on time. It all seems so very unimportant.

    I'm glad that you are taking care of yourself and protecting your heart. Losing a child makes you so vulnerable, especially in these early times. I think that the memorial fund you have established is such a wonderful tribute to your Declan. I know that I am eternally grateful to the kind strangers who donated the clothes and hats that I dressed my daughter in after she had died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that your precious Declan is not with you and that you have to learn to be without him. (I just want to reach through the screen and stroke his little foot - it's so sweet).

    "I am learning" - that was what took my breath away about grief. It changed EVERYTHING and it changed me all over again. The first year really was rehabilitation, re-learning things that I took for granted before my daughter died. You capture that so well

    ReplyDelete
  4. So new and raw for you still, I'm so sorry. I wish your precious Declan got to stay.
    Sending much love.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart breaks for you!! I understand your pain much more than I wish I did. I was drawn to your blog because of your son's name, Declan. Our son, also named Declan, died on valentines day of 2012. He was 3 months old. We learned about 2 months later, it was from SIDS. I have no words of comfort, expect that you are not alone. I imagine our two little Declan's have connected and are enjoying their time together. Hugs to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete