Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Baby Laarveld #4 is on the way!


Baby Laarveld #4 is on the way!

We found out I was pregnant at the end of the Summer.  I had a feeling in July that I was pregnant but I didn’t have any of the “symptoms or signs” that I had with my other 3 pregnancies.  I just had a “feeling”.  I was also very affected by the heat, when it was 90+ I got dizzy and felt nauseous but as soon as I went into the house in the air-conditioning I felt better.  So I assumed since I was now 34, I just couldn’t tolerate the high temps the way I could when I was younger.  Yet,  no symptoms, just that nagging feeling that I was pregnant and should take a test.  So I did something I’ve never done before, I tested a few days before my period was due and before I went to bed.  The test showed a very faint positive line and I wasn’t sure if it was in fact a positive result or just that the test lines were wet so I put it back in the wrapper and put it in the bathroom cabinet and went to bed.  I tried again with a new test in the morning and it was indeed positive.  So I put that test with the other one and called my OB to schedule a prenatal appointment.  A few days later I took the tests out to look at them and noticed that the positive result from my first test had disappeared.  My immediate thought was, “I hope this is not a bad omen.”  But I dismissed that thought figuring the test just probably dried out and wasn’t showing the result anymore so I threw it in the garbage. 

            I went for my first prenatal exam and after my OB confirmed I was pregnant he said, “Let’s take a walk down the hall and take a look.”  So I followed him and the nurse to his ultrasound room.  It took him a while to find the baby since it was so small, but when he did, he smiled at me, turned the screen so I could see and said, ”Look, there it is, isn’t that the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?”  And I could see the little blob that was my baby and I could see the tiny flicker that was his heartbeat.  And I said, ”Yes, yes it is.”  I wanted so badly to ask if I could take a video on my phone or have him print out a picture to show Brian when I got home, but I didn’t want to be a nerd, so I didn’t.

            When I got home, Brian was sleeping and the kids were napping so I sent him an email that said- “Dr. R says April 3rd is a good day to have a baby, what do you think?”  When Brian woke up he checked his email and asked me, “Are you serious?”  I said, “Yes. I’m sorry, I hope you’re not mad, please don’t be mad.” then I started to cry.  He said, “I’m not mad, I’m just surprised.  I guess I really do have to get a vasectomy.”  And I replied, “Yes, you really do.”  Then Brian hugged me and said, “I love you, we’ll make it work.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment