Tuesday, June 12, 2012

December (25 wks - 25 wks, 4 days)


December  (25 wks - 25 wks, 4 days)

            12.19 (25 wks)- Today is Tyler’s 12th birthday, he opened his birthday presents and we went for breakfast at Butterfield’s.  We dropped Brian off at home so he could sleep, while I drove my nephew home.  We stayed to eat lunch and let the kids play for a little while.  We came home in time for my sister Colleen to pick up Tyler and take him out for a birthday dinner.  I gave Makenna and Jonathan baths, put them to bed, and did some laundry.  When Colleen brought Tyler home she stayed to chat.  I remember telling her, “Something feels different about this pregnancy, I’m so tired and I feel so heavy.”  And she said, “Yeah, you’re old, you’re taking care of two kids, and Tyler’s in hockey and Brian was just in the hospital.”  I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the back of the couch.  Then she asked, “Are you ok?  You look uncomfortable.”       I said, “I am.”  She moved over and sat next to me on the couch to feel my belly.  I told her that I didn’t think the baby was as active as the other kids at this point in my pregnancy and that I was going to mention it to my doctor at my next visit.  This was the date of my originally rescheduled ultrasound.

            12.20 (25 wks, 1 day)-  Today Brian and I took Makenna and Jonathan to see The Muppets Movie.  It was the second movie Makenna had seen in the theater, and Jonathan’s first.  I felt the baby move while we were in the theater.

            12.21 (25 wks, 2 days)- Today was Brian’s second day off so it was a busy day.  We went shopping to buy Tyler new shoes, ate lunch at PJ’s, Tyler and I got haircuts, then we drove up to Wauconda for a ballet exercise bar.  I was hoping the exercises would help alleviate some of the pain from my sciatic nerve.  From there we drove to Park Ridge to buy a set of newborn cloth diapers.  I had some pressure and cramping while we were driving in the car but attributed it to the fact we were busy all day.  We got home, ate dinner, put the kids to bed and when I laid down to sleep, my belly relaxed and the pressure subsided.

            12.22 (25 wks, 3 days)-  Today we finished our Christmas shopping.  On our way home Brian called his mom to see if we could stop by to wish her a happy birthday.  Aunt Barb, Karen and Kim L. were already there.  We stayed to have lunch and when Aunt Barb was leaving she gave me a hug and said, “I won’t touch your belly, I know some women don’t like that.”  And I said, “You can touch my belly, I don’t mind sharing it.”  I lifted up my shirt and she rubbed my belly and bent down to say, “Hello baby, can’t wait to meet you.”  We left to take Brian home so he could sleep, and I drove Tyler to his friend’s house for a sleepover.   I came home, fed the kids dinner (since I wasn’t hungry yet), and started their bath.  While they were in the tub my friend Tracy called to remind me that I had to call her as soon as I was done with the ultrasound to tell her if the baby was a boy or a girl because she wanted to go out and buy an outfit for the baby.  I laughed and told her we didn’t know if we would find out & it would all depend on whether the baby cooperated.  After I finished my conversation with her I read books to the kids, turned on the Christmas music, and sat in the rocking chair while they fell asleep.  Brian came in their room to give us goodnight kisses and left for work.  I was rocking in the chair when I realized the baby wasn’t moving, so I stopped rocking and put my hands on my belly for a few minutes and waited, but nothing happened.  It was unusual for the baby not to move when I stopped rocking, and I had a feeling something was wrong.  I tried to think if I had felt the baby move during the day, but I couldn’t.  I tried to convince myself that I hadn’t paid attention because we were busy.  The kids had fallen asleep so I got up and took a shower, and still didn’t feel anything.   I thought maybe it was because I hadn’t eaten dinner yet, so I made something to eat and took it into the bedroom to watch tv.  I didn’t feel the baby move while I was eating, so I waited a few minutes with my hands on my belly, hoping to feel something; but there was nothing.  I turned off the tv and the lights and laid in bed with my hands on my belly desperately hoping to feel a kick or a somersault, but when I didn’t I knew something was wrong.  I wanted to call Brian and tell him I wasn’t feeling the baby move, but I didn’t want to worry or distract him.  Instead I laid alone in bed all night with my hands on my belly waiting.

            12.23 (23 wks, 4 days)-  I got out of bed when my alarm went off, and went in the kitchen to make coffee for when Brian got home.  I got dressed and stood in the bathroom trying to figure out how to tell Brian the baby wasn’t moving.  When he got home, he changed his clothes and we were standing in the kitchen drinking our coffee and I told him, “I’m trying not to be paranoid, but I haven’t felt the baby move.”  And he told me, “Don’t be paranoid, everything’s fine.”  I wanted so badly to believe him, but I knew it wasn’t fine.  I drank a glass of orange juice, hoping to wake the baby up, while Brian went to get Makenna and Jonathan out of bed.  We dressed them and left at 7:30a, with plans to go out for breakfast afterwards.


  We got to the ultrasound office at 8:15a, I went in back to get weighed and measured, and when I came back to the waiting room Brian said, “Thank you for being a pretty pregnant lady, I mean thank you for always taking care of yourself and not looking miserable.  I know you don’t always feel great when you’re pregnant, but these women are rough.”  While I was gone he had scanned the room and noticed that most of the women were there in their pajamas, and their hair was tied up in ratty ponytails.  Every one of them looked uncomfortable and unhappy, or like they had just gotten out of bed.  I giggled at the expression on his face and whispered, “You’re welcome, you’re lucky I don’t like to look like an ugly hag on purpose.”  We laughed at the silliness of what we were talking about.  Then the nurse called my name and we went in back to our ultrasound room.

No comments:

Post a Comment